Hello, my name is Denise!
Welcome to THEMISSNISE!
It can be hard to pronounce my name. Believe me, I know. Start with “the niece” or “the knees”, whatever floats your boat. It will catch on eventually. You can call me “nise” for short or you might already know me from my online moniker, “themissnise”. Born and raised in Malaysia, I grew up in the crazy mess that is the suburb of Subang Jaya — located about 30 minutes south of Kuala Lumpur, just in case you were wondering. I am a Christian girl of Peranakan-Chinese descent. And contrary to popular belief that Denise means “goddess of wine”, I am in fact quite averse to all forms of alcohol. I am a living irony. Feel free to feed me half a cup of anything alcoholic to enjoy the Korean version of me if you’re into that kind of thing although my friends (and brother) might stop you lest I projectile vomit again. That, is a long story for another day.
I’ve been writing since 2007, which if you think about it now is a really long time. Having my own website was a dream I had since I was 15-years-old so when I finally took the plunge in 2015, I knew in my gut that it was the right thing to do. That’s how THEMISSNISE was born. While this space is started off predominantly as a space for my fashion and beauty escapades, I have come to the conclusion that my favourite pieces are those that come from the heart. So at the root of my writing is the element of storytelling. Also just to sidetrack, my other passions include food, shopping, travelling, basically anything Korean and Japanese. I really love Japan — Tokyo to be exact.
After graduating from law school, I worked as a fashion and lifestyle writer for a little online magazine before switching it up to the world of corporate branding in an internationally-acclaimed Malaysian conglomerate. I know, what an adventure. These days, I’m busy being a cute freelance copywriter and content creator. You can view my portfolio over here.
And if you must know one last thing about me, it would be that I have a deep hatred for bean sprouts. This is mainly a useless piece of information but I suppose that in life, it’s always better to know than to live in ignorance.
FUN FACTS ABOUT ME
- I graduated with a degree in law from the University of Sheffield.
- I love Christmas. It’s the most wonderful time of the year.
- I wanted to be a chef at some point in my life.
- I thoroughly enjoy randomly naming non-living things.
- Giraffes are my favourite animal.
- If I had to eat pasta every day for the rest of my life, I think I could live with that.
- My favourite and lucky number is 7.
- Lavender and cherry blossom are my favourite scents.
- My tolerance for alcohol is as good as seeing a flying cow. It does not exist.
- Speaking of cows, I used to be terrified of them as a child. Now they’re just delicious steaks.
- No matter how hard I try, I cannot speak, read, write or understand any Chinese dialects.
- Aside from bean sprouts, I also hate celery, peas, beans, raisins and almond milk.
- My favourite cuisines are, in no particular order, Japanese, Italian, Spanish, Korean, Greek, Thai and Nothern Indian.